Saturday, November 29, 2008

Blue Cranberry Sauce


I love Thanksgiving dinner, so it was hard for me to pick a favorite recipe. And, I didn't cook this year, so I wasn't really thinking about recipes. And, I know Thanksgiving has passed, so maybe you can use this for Christmas or next year. I'm going to post a few. This picture dosen't do it justice, it really is quite pretty.
Blue Cranberry Sauce

1 (12 ounce) package fresh cranberries
1 cup water
½ cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
1 pint fresh blueberries

1. Wash and pick over cranberries. Place in a medium saucepan with water and sugar. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, stir and simmer for 10 minutes or until cranberries pop.
2. Slightly mash the cranberries with the back of a wooden spoon to insure all skins are broken. Add the cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice. Mix well.
3. Removed from heat and mix in the blueberries (don’t be afraid to break a few, but don’t over mash). The sauce will thicken as it cools.
4. Transfer to a bowl, cool slightly.

This can be made up to 2 days ahead.

No comments: